I did it all by myself as a surprise to DH when he comes home from his visit to his brother’s. Hopefully this won’t be the time when he decides to read my blog! And if older son is reading this…DON’T TELL 🙂 !
I’m pretty surprised that I got the motivation to actually do this! It was frustrating to say the least! Some of the edges of the interlocking pieces were broken when I opened the box. Trying to cut a hole for the heating vent was a nightmare! And it took me an eternity to find a jigsaw in the tool room, so I started out using a handsaw.
My big advice if you ever choose to do a project of this nature:
- Get a jigsaw if you don’t have one. You will want to bludgeon yourself with any other tool if you don’t use a jigsaw.
- Remove the whatchamacallits (brain fart)…oh yeah, baseboards. I didn’t do that. Don’t look at the edges of my finished project. (Thank goodness for furniture to hide that!).
- Make sure you are cutting the correct end of the board. The edges are NOT interchangeable. I wasted a board to find this out.
- Handle the edges of the boards very carefully! Once they break, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to use them. Try to check them before you leave the store with them.
And now, purely for the sake of your amusement, I am including some of the very explicit instructions for installation that were included in the bundles of flooring. (There were no written instructions. They used the universal language of pictures…which I thoroughly enjoyed deciphering).
The next one is my favorite.