Vegetarian Sloppy Joes for dinner. I made them with tempeh*. This is only the second time I’ve made tempeh successfully. The first time I ever tried to make it, I thought I would gag. But now I know, thanks to the vegan coach http://www.vegancoach.com/tempeh.html that you absolutely need to steam it before using it in a dish.
So, you just crumble the tempeh up and start frying it up in some oil. Add in:
- tomato sauce
- 1 onion or about 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 chopped or pureed roasted red pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- a pinch of chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- about 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- a splash of pickle juice (or vinegar)
- about a Tbsp. of brown sugar
- a few drops tabasco sauce
Play around with the spices to suit your own taste. Slap it all on some sort of bread and eat it while it’s hot!
*In the past I have used TVP or tofu for this dish and that works fine too.
Oh yeah…and it seems like everyone likes them…at least I didn’t hear any griping about them, so that’s what I’m assuming.